Valentine's Day is fast approaching. For many lucky people, that means a fresh bouquet of flowers could be on the way.
But the question is: how long do those flowers last before they start to wilt? If it's only a few days, the big bucks spent are going to waste.
Florists offer the following tips to keep Valentine's bouquets looking fresh for as long as possible.
- Tip #1- Inspect the flowers well before buying them, weeding out the flowers that look slimy or unsightly at the stem.
- Tip #2 - Cut with care, using special flower snippers like pruners or garden shears, cutting the flowers at a 45-degree angle.
- Tip #3 - Choose longer-lasting flowers, like chrysanthemums or carnations.
- Tip #4 - Load up on plant food packets and use a new one when refreshing water in a vase. After using all the food packets avaialble, don't try to substitute — use plain water.
- Tip #5 - Extend the beauty of the greenery inside the bouquet with plant polish, which can make all the difference and bring a bouquet to life.
This story was originally published by Ameera David on WXYZ in Detorit.